Okay so this is a little late, but still applicable for any little girls who love glitter and playing dress-up. My youngest also has her third birthday coming up on Monday, so this would be perfect as a birthday crown.
Every New Year’s Eve, the girls and I make decorate hats to wear to our annual family dinner. This year, we were all so busy that I didn’t get a chance to make the headbands until LITERALLY 30 minutes before we left for dinner! Even though it was a rush job, they turned out just as I envisioned and were probably my favorite DIY headwear to date! As with most of my DIY projects, you don’t need many supplies. Keep reading to see how I did it!
- Party Tiaras from Dollar Tree
- Pack of silver pipe cleaners
- 5 sheets of silver glitter card stock
- Sharpie or marker of any color
- Glue gun
- Remove tiara or attachment from the foil headbands so all you have is the headband part.
- Fold your card stock in half lengthwise and draw medium to small stars down one side.
- Cut out the stars so you end up with a pair of stars with each cut.
- Now you’re going to glue the stars onto the pip cleaners. Grab two sets of stars for each pipe cleaner. Apply glue to the non-glitter side of one star, lay the pipe cleaner in the middle of the star, and then place the non-glitter side of the matching star on top. Repeat 3 times with the other set of stars so you get a column of two stars on each pipe cleaner.
- To attach your stars to the headband, simply wind the end of your pipe cleaner a few times so that the stars are pretty close to the headband. Since the pipe cleaners are not as rigid as a heavy craft wire, you don’t want your stars to stick up too high. They’ll just flop over.
- Attach all 3 pipe cleaners to your headband and then you’re ready to wear!